These are the interesting people we like, places we visit, and communities of interest.
The blogs excerpted below (in no particular order) are all local to Bloomington, either because the author lives in the area or blogs about it. To my knowledge, this is the most complete list available, although we encourage others to add to our list.
Download this OPML file to upload into your own RSS reader. Google Reader is a nice, easy tool to use if you want to follow the latest from these local authors. This file was last updated on July 16, 2008.
More Local Blogs
Pin the Tail
Quick - I like the definition(s) of the word ‘quick’ and I think many of them apply to the flurry of activity that has led to my announcing and filing a run for a seat on the Monroe County Council. Today I … Continue reading
What is a Meal Train? - Is it a train that you can jump on and just eat until your ready to be rolled off? All aboard the smorgasbord? All you can eat Amtrak? The Chew Chew Train? No, it’s not that. It is something much better. It is a way you can help a friend with meals when they need it. Here is [...]
My Plate or Yours
Beakfast Weddy, Gampa - Family memory -- more my mother's than mine -- has me toddling down the hallway of a relative's lake home to summon my grandfather for breakfast, with a pudgy one year old's stuttering steps and a notable inability to pronounce my "r's." "Beakfast Weddy Gampa" became part of our personal shorthand and perhaps explains my inordinate affection for the first meal of the day. Extraordiary breakfasts are the subject of my latest Bloom column -- and I have really lucked into some wonderful ones lately. That beauty in the photo was the breakfast at our amazing hotel, the U Zlate Studne, in Prague this last December -- great cheeses, perfect pastries, and the best damn yogurt I have ever had. Oh yeah, and a dynamite cup of hot chocolate.
- 3rd Party Building government from the ground up
- Bloomington Online Local online community and tools for Bloomington, Indiana
- Bloomington RootsCamp RootsCamp is a local political unconference being planned for Nov. 18-19, 2006
- Cambrian House
- DandeLife Kelly Abbott’s blog for the DandeLife social biography networking tool
- HCI Cartel A community of former classmates at the School of Informatics
- Monroe-Bloomington Talk A traditional forum serving the local Bloomington and Monroe County area
- The Edge An outgrowth of The Reality Club, this organization promotes inquiry into and discussion of intellectual, philosophical, artistic, and literary issues
- WikiSym 2006 The official wiki for the 2006 WikiSym conference in Denmark
- About the name Makice How we Makices got our name
- Flowers for Amy A virtual bouquet to Amy from Kevin while at WikiSym 2006
- My Life as an Isbister Some links while former-ego surfing my 20th century name
- Why Amy is Vegetarian Some background information that went into Amy’s decision to become a vegtarian
People to See
- A Gaggle of Girls Rachel and her girls
- A.J. Jacobs Jacobs is a writer for Esquire who does some unusual socio-technological experiments
- Aleisha’s blog A mostly homeschooling blog
- Audio Prof Our friend, Rob Potter
- Carol’s art Grandma Carol has her own online gallery.
- David Wilcox I don’t know him, but I have interest in some of the things he writes about eDemocracy
- Drift and Diffusion AJ’s blog
- Erik Pukinskis The consummate graduate student takes his designerly brain to new places
- Gerri Newfry Gerri married my good friend John and loves to work with pretty paper
- Gretchen Watch out. . . there’s cussing.
- Jacob Voss Wikimetrics: a wiki research blog
- Jake McKee The Community Guy is about community building
- Josh Evnin An HCI grad from IU
- Julie Polito, Middle School best friend of Amy
- Liesl My friend with the ferrets
- Mamas Stilettos
- Mike Schneider Mike Schneider … personal blog on poker (et al)
- msLaura Presents Laura’s blog
- Pin the Tail Sophia Travis, currently serving on the Monroe County Council as an at-large representative
- The Needs of the Few Eddy Riou as Evil Spock, a funny local blogger
- Zack Exley
Places to Go
- AboutUs Wiki of web sites … an alternative Internet directory
- Bloomington Online Information about Bloomington, Indiana
- CraigsList The user-driven CraigsList site for Bloomington, Indiana
- Design Bibliography Wiki Collect and annotate resources of interest to the human-computer interaction, social-computing, and information systems design communities.
- DFA Night School Democracy for America’s online instruction on political activism
- http://www.blogthings.com/ Things (i.e. polls) to put on blogs
- Journal of Community Informatics JCI aims to bring together a global range of academics, CI practitioners and policy makers.
- Math World Stephen Wolfram’s research company has this great resource on all things math
- Ohloh Ohloh is a resource for open source intelligence on thousands of open source projects.
- The Knowledge Tree An online journal about learning innovations
- Urban Dictionary Slang terms, as defined by the community at large
- WidgetBox A blog about a web widget resource site
- WP Plugins WordPress blog plug-ins compatible with v2.0